In 2012 Ângela Ferreira showed new work on Between Walls and Windows: Architecture and Ideology at Haus der Kulteren der Welt, Berlin, and opened the new Marlborough Contemporary space in London with a solo exhibition.
Exhibitions / Works
- Study for Hendrix/Cullinan Shaft and Underground Cinema on Fiction as Fiction (Or, A Ninth Johannesburg Biennale) (Cape Town, 2012)
- Double Sided on Trade Routes Over Time (Cape Town, 2012)
- Carlos Cardoso - Straight to the Point & Peter Blum - Kaapse Sonnette/Cape Sonnets (Cape Town, 2011)
- Cape Sonnets on Geography of Somewhere (Johannesburg, 2011)
- Werdmuller Centre and Other Works (Cape Town, 2010)
- For Mozambique (Cape Town, 2008)
- Cape Town Film Festival on Afterlife (Cape Town, 2007)
- Trade Routes Revisited (2012)
- Geography of Somewhere (2011)
- Werdmuller Centre (2010)
- Afterlife (2007)
Born in 1958 in Maputo, Mozambique, Ãngela Ferreira grew up in South Africa and obtained her MFA from the Michaelis School of Fine Art, University of Cape Town. She lives and works in Lisbon, teaching Fine Art at Lisbon University. She represented Portugal at the 52nd Venice Biennale in 2007, continuing her investigations into the ways in which European modernism adapted or failed to adapt to the realities of the African continent by tracing the history of Jean Prouvé's 'tropical house'. The making of Ferreira's Maison Tropicale is the subject of a film by Manthia Diawara which showed at the gallery alongside Ferreira's For Mozambique in 2008. Recent solo exhibitions include Double Lecture at Carpe Diem, Lisbon (2010); Hard Rain Show at the Museu Colecção Berardo, Lisbon, and the Centro de Arte Contemporãnea La Crieé in Rennes (2009); Random Walk, Galeria Filomena Soares, Lisbon (2005); and No Place at All, Museu do Chiado - Museu Nacional de Arte Contemporânea, Lisbon (2003). Her Zip Zap Circus School showed in Cape Town under the auspices of the Institute of Contemporary Art Cape Town in 2002. Recent group exhibitions include Utopia and Monument II: On virtuosity and the public sphere, part of the steirischer herbst festival in Graz, Austria (2010); the Bucharest Biennale (2010); Modernologies: Contemporary artists researching modernity and modernism at the Museu d'Art Contemporani de Barcelona (2009) and the Museum of Modern Art in Warsaw (2010); Learning Modern at Sullivan Galleries, School of the Art Institute of Chicago (2009); Front of House at Parasol Unit, London (2008), and the 28th São Paulo Biennale (2008).